- I made this elephant baby boy cake for a baby shower. The elephant is from the invitation. I just love putting personal touches on a cake.
- The cutest video of puppies on the beach.
- This week in NJ, the weather reverted itself to summer for a few days. I’m talking shorts-out, AC-on and oven-off weather.
- Fell in love with these sunglasses as soon as I saw them. I got them in pink.
- I got this beautiful chunky infinity scarf in marble. Super warm AND it benefits Haitian orphans. Win-Win.
- Jimmy Fallon and Kevin Hart visit a haunted house. So. Funny.
- Please, please tell me you’ve registered to vote and will vote on or before November 8th. This video of President Obama is hilarious. “You know how you beat LeBron James one on one? Get there 45 minutes early. Then it’s one-on-none.”
19 thoughts on “Weekday Update”
I really like your elephant cake topper. Is there anyway you can provide directions on how to make it.
Hi, Michelle! The elephant was actually from the invitation they used for the baby shower. I didn’t document how I did it, but in general what I do is:
1. roll out a thick (1/4 inch) piece of fondant
2. trace the outline of the image you want onto the fondant
3. cut out the image from fondant
4. stick a lollipop stick into the bottom of the fondant, taking care not to let it poke through.
5. cut another piece of fondant the same size and shape of the original outline and place on top of the first fondant
6. use a clay tool to trace the details onto the fondant
7. for the elephant, cut out a small star and use a thin wire to secure it to the elephant’s trunk.
I hope this helps!
Love the mix and color of sprinkles. Could u tell me what u used? Thanks in advance!!!
Hi, Mandy! I hand-dyed the sprinkles myself! There is a blog post on how to do it here: https://thebusyspatula.com/2016/04/15/a-boy-baby-shower-how-to-dye-your-own-sprinkles/
Hey how did u make these clouds?
Hi, Manvi. It’s a little hard to describe without photos but I’ll try my best.
1) Make small balls of fondant in different sizes and cluster them together in the shape of the cloud you want.
2) Roll out a very thin piece of white fondant and drape over and wrap the cluster of spheres.
3) Using your fingers or a clay tool, trace over the spheres giving it definition, completing your cloud.
Hope this helps!
Just wanted to say thank you for the instructions you gave everyone. I’ve seen this picture on Pinterest but without identifying your website. So glad to have found you to follow!
I’m glad you found it helpful! Thank you for the follow, Elizabeth! 🙂
How tall (how many layers) and what size cake pan?
I believe it was an 8′ cake with 4 layers!
The stars are adorable! Are those made of fondant?
How do you get your sprinkles on? And in such a pretty, crisp line on the top?
After applying the frosting to the cake (make sure the cake is frosted with crisp lines), tilt the cake carefully over a bowl of sprinkles. Take handful of sprinkles and in a cupping motion, place the sprinkles onto the cake, taking extra care by the top to get as close to the top without getting sprinkles onto the top of the cake. 🙂 Hope this helps!
Where did you find those sprinkles? Did you make the mixture?
Hi, Reina! Yes, I hand dyed the sprinkles. The technique can be found on this post:
The colors I featured on the post is different but the technique is the same. I hope this helps!
I’m trying to find the sprinkles you used, but I’m not having any luck. Would you mind sharing the brand and where it might be found?
Hi Joanna, it makes sense that it would be hard to find the sprinkles as I hand-dyed them myself.
Please refer to this post for tips and tricks to dying sprinkles: https://thebusyspatula.com/2016/04/15/a-boy-baby-shower-how-to-dye-your-own-sprinkles/
I hope this helps!