Spring is here! …And with it, all the pollen. It might be the new neighborhood that we moved to, but the allergies are out of control. Tissue boxes are everywhere and I had my first dose of non-drowsy allergy medicine that made me foggy headed all day. So I’m soldiering on, no pills, just eye drops and nasal spray to keep the itching away.
As much as I am suffering, springtime also brings fresher produce and we can finally move on from the comforting and hearty roasts and stews that kept our bodies and bellies warm over this winter. Asparagus is a welcome change and it stays crisp and fresh if you blanch it! (Blanch = quick cook in boiling water). It’s also super cheap this time of the year, and as I am a sucker for deals, I tend to over buy good looking, affordable produce. So what to do with all the asparagus? Make asparagus toast!
We happened to have some roasted garlic hummus in the fridge from our attempt to have healthier snacks, (dieting is going terribly btw) and it made the perfect canvas for the asparagus and the soft boiled egg. Then it’s topped with Hollandaise sauce which is made in the microwave (I know, I didn’t know it could be done either), and is the perfect velvety, rich and tangy touch to the healthy toast. Spring is served.
Asparagus Smashed Egg Toast
Makes 2 toasts
2 slices of bread, toasted (I used Ezekiel Bread)
garlic hummus (whichever brand or hummus you like)
8-10 stalks of asparagus, pending on thickness
extra virgin olive oil
2 large eggs
quick microwave hollandaise sauce (recipe below)
parsley, for garnish
salt and pepper, to taste
- Fill a medium bowl with ice water and set it aside.
- Trim your asparagus about 1-2 inches from the bottom, removing the tough ends.
- Boil a pot of water and bring it to a simmer, add your asparagus for about 1-2 minutes until crisp-tender.
- Remove asparagus and place into the ice water until cool.
- Rub extra virgin olive oil and a sprinkle of salt on the asparagus and set aside.
- Bring the same pot of water to boil and once it does, lower the heat to a bare simmer and submerge your eggs carefully into the water with a spoon.
- Cook the eggs for 7 minutes and move into an ice bath.
- Once cool enough to handle, crack and peel eggs.
- On your toasted bread, spread garlic hummus. Remember to spread it to the edges.
- Neatly arrange your cooked asparagus in a diagonal, giving it a push to secure it to the hummus.
- Place an egg on each toast, and smash it with a fork.
- Drizzle on the hollandaise sauce.
- Sprinkle on salt and pepper, if desired and garnish with parsley
Quick Microwave Hollandaise
½ cup (1 stick) butter, melted
2 egg yolks (from a large egg)
1-2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp. milk
Salt and pepper to taste
- Whisk egg yolks, lemon juice (start with 1 tablespoon and add more later if needed), milk and a pinch of salt and pepper together in a microwave safe bowl.
- Drizzle in the melted butter while whisking the egg yolk mixture until smooth.
- Microwave the sauce in 15 second intervals for one minute, whisking in between every interval until the sauce is hot and thick.
- Taste and add more lemon juice if desired.