Take a bite of the sunny tropics with this key lime passion fruit tart with oatmeal cashew crust. Buttery cashews and oatmeal create a golden crust that is layered with caramelized white chocolate crumbles and topped with a brightly balanced key lime and passion fruit filling made with Amoretti natural artisan flavors.
Time sure gets away from us, huh? It’s been nearly 3 years since the pandemic has started. Life seems dull and bleak. So when Amoretti reached out to me to try out their Artisan flavors, I nabbed the key lime and passion fruit: IMO the brightest of the bunch.
Living on the northeast coast really limits the types of fruit that will be in stock and these flavors really give a boost of true fruit flavor without having to procure it. I wanted to grab some passion fruit for taking photos of these and visited every market available to me (even specialty stores) and could not find fresh passion fruit. And honestly, even if you could procure it, squeezing tiny key limes and removing the seeds from the passion fruit pulp is tedious. You’re welcome, I’ve saved you time and freed you from unnecessary labor. 🙂
Key Lime Passion Fruit Tart with Oatmeal Cashew Crust
1 batch of caramelized white chocolate crumbles, recipe below
1 batch of oatmeal cashew crust, recipe below
1 batch key lime passion fruit filling, recipe below
sweetened whipped cream, for serving
fresh fruit, for topping
For the Caramelized White Chocolate Crumbles:
8 oz. chopped high-quality white chocolate, see notes 1
¼ cup feuilletine flakes
For the Oatmeal Cashew Crust:
1½ cups old-fashioned rolled oats
½ cup cashews
¼ cup packed light brown sugar
¼ cup all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon kosher salt
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
For the Key Lime Passion Fruit Filling
28 ounces sweetened condensed milk
2 limes, zested
¼ cup freshly squeezed key lime or lime juice, see notes 2
¼ cup passion fruit puree, see notes 3
1 tablespoon Amoretti natural key lime artisan flavor
1 tablespoon Amoretti natural passion fruit artisan flavor
½ cup plain Greek yogurt
1 large egg yolk
- Make the caramelized white chocolate. Preheat the oven to 250°F. Place the chopped white chocolate on a quarter sheet pan.
- Heat the white chocolate in the oven for 10 minutes and then stir. Return back to the oven. Repeat until the chocolate is golden brown and caramelized, about 40 minutes.
- Transfer the caramelized white chocolate into a heatproof bowl and let cool until thickened. Fold in the feuilletine flakes. Set aside. (See notes 4.)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. In the bowl of a food processor, combine the rolled oats and cashews. Pulse until finely chopped.
- Add the brown sugar, all-purpose flour and kosher salt. Pulse until combined.
- Cut the butter into small cubes and add to the mixture.
- Pulse the dough sticks to the sides of the bowl of the food processor.
- Transfer the dough into a 9-inch tart pan with a removable bottom. Use a glass cup with a flat bottom to press the crumbs evenly into the bottom and up the sides of the pan.
- Bake until the crust is lightly browned, about 18-20 minutes. Remove the tart from the oven and lower the heat to 325°F.
- Use the same glass cup to flatten the bottom and sides of the tart.
- Let the tart crust cool completely. While the tart crust cools, make the key lime passion fruit filling.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the condensed milk, zest of two limes, lime juice, passion fruit puree, Amoretti natural key lime artisan flavor, Amoretti natural passion fruit artisan flavor, Greek yogurt and egg yolk.
- Once the tart crust is completely cooled, fill it will the key lime passion fruit filling.
- Bake the tart for about 40-45 minutes or until the edges are set and the center wobbles slightly.
- Let the tart cool completely before covering with plastic wrap and refrigerating until completely chilled, at least 2 hours or overnight.
- When ready, top with
- High-quality white chocolate of at least 30% cocoa butter must be used. If not, the caramelized white chocolate will become grainy.
- Alternatively, you can use 1-2 tablespoons of the Amoretti natural key lime artisan flavor.
- Alternatively, you can use 1-2 tablespoons of the Amoretti natural passion fruit artisan flavor.
- You can speed up the cooling process by putting the chocolate in the freezer.