It’s rare that I find a technique that is life-changing. I love trying out new ways to do things. Mostly because they are novel and I’m always looking for ways to grow and learn in general. I’ll usually try something once or twice, but that’s about it. It’s on to the next obsession, the next trend, the next new way to do something.
But this, oh man… It is such a simple technique but it makes the average hot dog 10000% tastier than what it was before. You simply stick a skewer into the sausage, take a knife and create a swirl pattern along the meat, which will result in a Slinky looking piece of meat. It does not look like much but once you cook it, the increased surface to volume ratio creates extra crisp, juicy, meaty goodness.
The first time I made this on a grill, the neighboring party came over and asked what kind of meat I was cooking. Once they saw that it was just a hot dog cut up into a fancy shape, they amused at its novelty and went about their merry way. Little did I know that I was a monkey about to touch the monolith.
I’ve eaten my fair share of hot dogs and this one is right at the top. Neck and neck with the deep fried hot dogs they sell at a local hot dog joint in my town. Yes, true to the busy spatula fashion, I had to jazz it up by adding bacon, avocado, Sriracha and Kewpie mayo. (Which by the way, if you can do it, you must. It is a serious flavor bomb.) But honestly, this post is really about the technique. Simply cutting it up in a spiral shape will be life changing. I promise.
Avocado Bacon Spiralized Hotdogs
Hot dog sausage
Avocado, peeled and cut into thin slices
Kewpie Mayo (yes, there is a difference between this and regular mayonnaise)
Potato hot dog buns
Skewers (I understand that this is not an ingredient but SO NECESSARY)
- Stick a skewer through the middle of a hot dog sausage. If it does not go straight and pokes out the side, pull it back and continue until you get it to the other end of the sausage.
- With a sharp knife, make a continuous spiral cut along the sausage, using the skewer as a guide to know how deep to cut the sausage.
- Spread a thin layer of mayo over potato hot dog buns and toast it in a heated frying pan.
- Remove toasted buns and cook sausage over medium heat until well browned and crispy.
- Remove sausages, turn heat to low and cook bacon until desired level of crispness.
- Top toasted hot dog bun with sausage, avocado slices, bacon, Kewpie mayo and Sriracha.
- Enjoy immensely.
4 thoughts on “Avocado Bacon Spiralized Hotdogs”
Now that’s a hot dog!!! I thought you were going to actually use a spiralizer on the hot dog, which might work….
Would it really? I don’t own one. I can only imagine hot dog noodles…. it actually sounds really delicious! 😀
Well, that ain’t no boring hotdog, talk about gourmet with the fancy spiral and yummy bacon and avocado – delicious!
lol Thanks Lily! It was definitely not boring 🙂